LUKE Carnell scored the only goal of the game as Didcot Town secured an important 1-0 victory over Coleshill Town on Saturday.

The success keeps the Railwaymen in the Evo-Stik South League Division 1 Centeral play-off places, with the winning strike coming eight minutes after the break.

Didcot had Leigh Bedwell to thank for being on level terms early on, the goalkeeper making a superb save in just the third minute to keep out the visitors.

Both sides went close, but neither could find a breakthrough in the first half.

Callum McNish missed a golden opportunity five minutes after the restart, heading over when well-placed.

However, three minutes later Didcot took the lead when a Greg Hackett corner was bundled home by Carnell at the far post.

Coleshill looked for an equaliser, but were kept out by the hosts, who saw out time and remain fourth.

Thame United are once again just a place behind their Oxfordshire rivals after climbing to fifth with a 5-0 home win over Dunstable Town.

Aaron Jewell put Mark West’s side ahead after just three minutes at the ASM Stadium.

Ben Sturgess doubled the lead from the penalty spot on 17 minutes, before Liam Tack made it 3-0 just before half-time.

Jewell bagged his second of the game on 76 minutes, and Dan West made it 5-0 in the final minute as Thame moved back into the play-off spots.

At the other end of the table, bottom side North Leigh were denied a point when hosts Bedford Town snatched an 86th-minute winner to win 2-1.

The Millers went ahead when George Seacole scored off the inside of the post in the 28th-minute.

Joe Steele equalised for the Eagles just before half-time.

But with time running out a howler from North Leigh’s Eddie Cavanagh proved pivotal.

A long punt into the area was caught by the goalkeeper, but the ball then squirmed out of his grasp, presenting Ben Ford with the easiest of finishes.

Kidlington moved out of the relegation zone after picking up a hard-fought point with a 1-1 draw at AFC Dunstable.

The Greens fell behind in the tenth minute when Jermaine Hall fired home.

Keeper Sam Warrell then made a number of saves to deny the hosts a second.

But Kidlington gradually started to create openings of their own and levelled with 15 minutes remaining when Lewis Coyle fired home from just outside the box.

Kidlington almost snatched a dramatic victory in the 88th-minute when Tommy Castle’s shot came back off the inside of a post.

But they ultimately had to be satisfied with a point.

  • BANBURY United suffered a third successive league defeat when they lost 2-1 at home to St Ives Town in the Premier Central Division.

The hosts fell behind on 14 minutes when Andrew Osei-Bonsu curled home from the edge of the box.

Although Banbury were on top, St Ives doubled their lead before half-time, Benjamin Seymour-Shove scoring.

The hosts gave themselves hope on 57 minutes when Ravi Shamsi headed home.

Ricky Johnson went close to forging a last-gasp equaliser, but Banbury could not find a way through and suffered another defeat.