TWO early goals were just enough to see Didcot Town through to the FA Trophy first qualifying round with a 2-1 victory against ten-man Hertford Town on Saturday.

The hosts went ahead in the sixth minute after Adam Learoyd tapped home from five yards.

The effort was initially ruled out for offside, only for the linesman and referee to agree the Didcot skipper was onside and reverse their decision.

A minute later they doubled their advantage when Brett Gardner converted David Murphy’s cross.

It was to get worse for the visitors as Kieran Joynes was sent off for two bookings within the first 15 minutes.

However, despite being a man down Hertford looked dangerous, with Didcot keeper Leigh Bedwell forced into a couple of saves before Elliott Bailey did eventually pull a goal back.

Didcot were handed a golden chance to seal victory when George Reid was tripped in the box, only for Sam Barder to put his penalty wide.

However, the hosts held on, although the result was slightly soured after the final whistle as Callum McNish was sent off following a confrontation with Hertford’s Jordan Lawal

Didcot Tn: Bedwell, Barder, M.Williams, Hayden, McNeill, Learoyd, Reid, Alexis (L Williams 62), Murphy (Thomas 82), Humphries (McNish 54). Subs not used: Young, A Woodley.

North Leigh ended a run of five successive defeats in all competitions after holding AFC Totton to a 1-1 draw.

Justin Bennett put the home side ahead inside ten minutes.

It nearly got worse for the visitors, a flurry of opportunities went begging, including an overhead kick that hit the crossbar as Totton dominated.

North Leigh levelled two minutes after the break through Henry Landers and almost won it late on when Jack Tutton’s shot deflected wide.

But they had to settle for a draw and the teams will replay tomorrow night.

Thame United will also try again after a 0-0 draw at Larkhall Athletic.

Both sides struggled to create chances in the windy conditions, although Aston Goss nearly won it for Thame when his header was cleared off the line late on.

Kidlington bowed out when they lost 3-0 at Mangotsfield Town.

Kyle Tooze and Jordan Williams put the hosts 2-0 ahead and although Jamie Calvin went close for Kidlington, their fate was sealed when Clayton Fortune netted on 80 minutes.

Kidlington: Warrell, Bott, Castle, Urquart, Whitehead, Stanbridge (Leach 82), Talboys (Quainton HT), Coleman, Calvin, Willoughby (Cowlishaw 65), Singh. Unused subs: Carroll, Davies. Attendance: 114.

  • JACK Harding produced a superb display as Banbury United secured a hard-fought 0-0 draw at Biggleswade Town in Saturday’s Evo-Stik South League clash.

Mike Ford’s side struggled to create clear openings in the Premier Central game and were ultimately grateful to their goalkeeper for keeping out the hosts, who remain unbeaten in the league this season.

Joe White went close for Biggleswade in the first half, his glancing header just missing the target with Harding looking in


After the break, however, the Puritans stopper really came into his own, denying Peter Clark three


And Harding was again in the right place when Josh Urquhart tried his luck with a header late on.

Banbury’s only effort on goal came from Greg Kaziboni.

Banbury Utd: Harding, Hawtin, Johnson, Henderson, Martin, Nash, Finch, Rasulo, Odihambo, Kaziboni, Diggin. Subs: Mills, Wise, Heapy, Bell.

Attendance: 242.