A SUPERB first-half hat-trick by Lynton Goss inspired Thame United to a stunning 5-0 victory at home to Wimborne Town in the first qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Indeed, the result was decided after 37 minutes when the hosts led 5-0.

The game was missed by manager Mark West, as he was attending the wedding of assistant manager Stuart Blaik, with one of the players, Andy Gledhill, taking charge of the team.

The Evo-Stik South League East Division side went ahead after ten minutes. From a long ball, Goss shrugged off defender Matt Oldring and coolly lobbed the advancing keeper Gerard Benfield.

In their next attack, Dan West raced in to fire low into the far corner.

Goss caused problems throughout the first half for the West Division visitors.

Then Goss raced onto a ball wide on the left and skipped past Benfield before netting Thame’s third.

Four minutes later, Goss played a one-two with Dan West before completing his hat-trick.

After more good play between Goss and West in the 37th minute, the ball rebounded to Harry Mepham, who netted their final goal.

In the second half, Thame put nine men behind the ball to maintain their lead.

Thame Utd: Hill, Harrison, Lynn, Hercules, McGowan, Ashworth, Mepham, Goss, Sturgess, West, Ricketts. Subs: Evans, Johnston, Gledhill, Morris, Dennis.

Attendance: 99

Kidlington exited the Trophy, but gave Premier Division opponents Slough Town a run for their money in a 4-1 home defeat.

The visitors took the lead after eight minutes, when a cross into the Kidlington box was met by a well-directed header from Matt Lench.

The hosts responded strongly with Ben Brown and Lance Williams both seeing shots hit the Slough woodwork, while Anaclet Odhiambo was only denied by keeper Jack Turner’s outstretched leg.

Then Odhiambo had an effort ruled out for offside.

Slough took advantage of this reprieve when Lench made it 2-0 right on half-time.

Kidlington pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute when Odhiambo tapped in after Roger James had hit the bar.

The hosts’ hopes were ended in the 84th minute when Lench completed his treble after a mistake from Kidlington captain Tommy Franklin.

Manny Williams added their fourth in the third minute of injury time to give Slough a flattering scoreline.

Kidlington: Warrell, E Odhiambo, Castle (Coyle 39), Brown, Franklin, Gabbidon, Janes, Osborne-Ricketts, A Odhiambo, Williams (Benjamin 86), Browne (James 63). Subs not used: Martin, Wharton.

Attendance: 201.

Despite taking a 2-0 lead, Banbury United could only draw 2-2 away to Tiverton Town in the first qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

The Puritans went ahead after 15 minutes when a throw-in from Matt Peake-Pijnen reached the unmarked Ravi Shamsi, who fired past keeper Martin Rice from the edge of the area.

After a fine save by goalkeeper Jack Harding preserved their lead, Banbury made it 2-0 right on half-time.

Tiverton substitute James Richards lost his footing inside the penalty area and Shamsi centred for Jefferson Louis to knock in in from close range.

Banbury looked like they had made it 3-0 on 54 minutes, but Louis’s headed effort was disallowed for a push on a defender.

Tiverton pulled one back on the hour, when Owen Howe netted a penalty, which was awarded for handball.

Just four minutes later, Tiverton were level when a low cross from the right was struck home by Callum Hall from 15 yards.

The hosts dominated the closing stages, but Banbury held out without undue alarm to earn a replay at the Spencer Stadium tomorrow night.

Banbury Utd: Harding, Hawtin, Peake-Pijnen (Winters 33), Nash, Bradbury, Carnell, Westbrook, Self, Louis (McDonagh 60), Pond, Shamsi (Johnson 73). Subs not used: Howards, Wise.

Attendance: 248.