FOUR more goals from Matty Taylor helped a depleted Oxford United thump Hayes & Yeading United 9-0.

Earlier in the day, the U’s had announced 12 first-team players were self-isolating following three positive coronavirus tests within the first-team squad.

It meant Karl Robinson had a far smaller pool to pick from for the pre-season friendly at Thame United's ASM Stadium, but a mix of senior pros and rising stars rose to the challenge.

Taylor struck a first-half hat-trick in the space of 22 minutes, with Michael Elechi’s effort giving the U’s a 4-0 lead at half-time.

The No 9 added another within seven minutes of the restart, before Tyler Goodrham’s sumptuous strike made it six before the hour.

United already had the Pitching In Southern League Premier South side well beaten, but Joel Cooper still added a late double either side of Derick Osei’s cool finish.

United’s Covid issues meant only six senior players started, with youngsters Goodrham and Elechi getting another chance in the first-team.

Those two are old heads compared to the other three members of the XI, with right back Ben Watt, centre back James Golding - both 17 - and 16-year-old midfielder Josh Johnson involved from kick-off.

Two of the teenagers were part of a new-look defence, with Jamie Hanson the other centre back and Elechi on the left.

Johnson was flanked by James Henry and Mark Sykes, behind a front three of Goodrham, Taylor and Cooper.

Goodrham saw plenty of the ball early on, while Henry was predictably influential. The midfielder rolled the ball into the net inside two minutes after a well-worked move, only for the linesman to flag offside.

Cooper had an effort saved one-on-one, before Taylor broke the deadlock with a classic striker’s finish.

United worked possession patiently to give Henry the space to fire towards goal from the edge of the box.

The midfielder’s effort was deflected and Taylor reacted quickest, following the path of the shot to slide the ball beyond goalkeeper Lewis Lavin.

Hayes left back Jordan Norville-Williams went straight up the other end and fired straight at Simon Eastwood, but his opposite number was more ruthless.

Elechi picked the ball up in a deep position and showed great positivity to drive into the penalty area, before shooting into the far corner.

The U’s were looking lively, with Watt getting forward well and Johnson and Golding seeing plenty of the ball, and Taylor soon had his second.

Norville-Williams inexplicably put the striker through one-on-one and he sat Lavin down before finishing into an empty net.

The No 9 was given another chance on a plate five minutes later, as he followed up his three goals over the weekend with another treble.

Goodrham’s pass split the defence and while Lavin got out quickly to smother Cooper’s shot, the ball fell to Taylor for another easy finish.

Eastwood had little to do in the first half and was replaced by Jack Stevens at the break, with the goalkeeper quickly forced into a save by Moses Emmanuel.

The U’s were soon back on the front foot, though, and within minutes Taylor had his fourth.

Sykes found space inside the area and played the ball back to Goodrham, who fed United’s No 9.

Taylor had time to pick his spot and made no mistake, dispatching an effort into the far corner.

It is tough to upstage a man who has scored four goals, but Goodrham did his best with an excellent effort five minutes later.

The teenager showed great feet to beat his man on the edge of the box, before flighting a shot over Lavin and into the far corner.

Johnson then had an effort well tipped over by Lavin, before Robinson made the final outfield changes he had available.

Clinton Nosakhare had already replaced Watt, which saw Hanson move to right back, with Osei, Josh Anifowose and Gatlin O’Donkor replacing Taylor, Goodrham and Johnson.

The game understandably settled down, but the U’s raised the tempo in a flash to score a seventh.

Sykes played a ball into the channel for Osei and the substitute cut it back for Cooper to side-foot home from just inside the box.

Provider turned scorer four minutes later - and it was all-too easy again.

O’Donkor had his back to goal but was given time to turn and played in the onrushing Osei, who opened his body up to beat Lavin.

Jamie Hanson cleared a header off the line late on, but only after United walked in their ninth of the evening.

It again originated down the left, with Elechi crossing the ball to the back post for Cooper to tap into the net from close range.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Eastwood (Stevens 46), Watt (Nosakhare 53), Hanson, Golding, Elechi, Johnson (O’Donkor 65), Henry, Goodrham (Anifowose 62), Sykes, Taylor (Osei 62), Cooper.

Unused sub: Plumley.

Hayes & Yeading: Lavin, Sheppard, McDevitt, Buckley, Norville-Williams, Odelusi, Robinson, Meoded, Hanlon, Greco, Emmanuel, Nasha.