FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to make sure they have smoke alarms in their house after tackling a blaze this morning.

Two fire engines from Banbury Fire Station were sent to the accidental kitchen fire in the town this morning.

Firefighters entered the house wearing breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.

Smoke alarms had given early warning to the blaze and the homeowners reacted quickly by shutting the door, meaning the rest of house escaped significantly reduced damage.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service posted online: “We strongly advise that you ensure you have smoke alarms in your property.”