David Weir revived memories of his London 2012 heroics by racing to Commonwealth gold at Hampden Park.

The wheelchair racer, who famously claimed four golds at the Olympic Stadium, swept to another title in the T53/54 1500m, bursting clear in the final 300m to cruise home in three minutes 21.67 seconds.

The Weirwolf, as he became known at the Paralympics, produced a blistering turn of speed in the closing stages to win by almost one-and-a-half seconds.

Victory, greeted by huge cheers from the packed crowd, earned the 35-year-old his first Commonwealth title.

He enjoyed a lighter year in 2013 after his Paralympic exploits, missing the IPC World Championships in Lyon, but insisted ahead of these Games he had ''the hunger back'' as a result and it showed as he bided his time before launching his attack down the back straight.

Weir, who had to dodge the puddles from the earlier teeming rain, told BBC Sport: "I t's a nice feeling. It was in the back of mind after 2012, 'Should I carry on?' This is why I carried on.

"It feels like London, so many English flags.

"It's been great. I'm a little bit faster. I'd been worried about the weather all week as manufacturer of my gloves doesn't make them any more and they didn't work so well in the rain. I prayed I had a bit of grip for the sprint which I did.

"It's so much more difficult as you need contact on the rims, and you get spray from the wheels. That's why I was going wide as there were puddles. I won anyway."

There was more medal success for England as 18-year-old Jade Jones took bronze in 4mins 00.19secs.

Eilidh Child was unable to give Hampden the victory it craved above all others, but still claimed silver in the 400 metres hurdles.

The poster girl of Glasgow 2014 was beaten to the title by Kaliese Spencer, the favourite, coming home in 55.02 seconds, with the Jamaican taking a dominant win in 54.10secs.

The 27-year-old, whose pictures are plastered on billboards across the city, was greeted by deafening cheers from a packed crowd amid a sea of Saltires inside the national stadium.

She and Spencer both went off hard, but it was the latter who had established a clear lead coming into the home straight and Child could not close the gap.

Nijel Amos sprung one of the biggest surprises of the Games by shocking David Rudisha to take 800 metres gold.

The 20-year-old from Botswana, who took Olympic silver behind Rudisha at London 2012, left in the wake of the Kenyan's unforgettable world record run, turned the tables in Glasgow by chasing him down on the home straight.

Amos raced past as Rudisha tied up, coming home in one minute 45.18 seconds, the favourite taking silver in 1min 45.48secs.

Jodie Williams roared into the women's 200 metres final as the second fastest qualifier.

The 20-year-old, a prodigious junior who now looks ready to win her maiden senior major championship medal, was very strong down the home straight as she came home in 22.64 seconds, taking second place behind Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare, the 100m champion and favourite to do the double.

Williams, who enjoyed a 151-race unbeaten streak over five years from 2005 but was cruelly ruled out of London 2012 with a hamstring injury, is helping lead the resurgence of British women's sprinting.

England team-mates Bianca Williams and Anyika Onuora joined her in tonight's final, the former winning her semi-final in 23.17secs, with the latter coming home second in hers in 23.02s.

In the men's event, Danny Talbot, who beat Adam Gemili to the British 200m title, qualified for the men's final in 20.47, but James Ellington and Chris Clarke went out.

Jessica Judd, the 19-year-old from Essex, produced a fine display of front-running in the pouring rain to win her 800m semi-final in 2:02.26.

Home favourite Lynsey Sharp and England's Jenny Meadows also made it through to Saturday's final as fastest losers after finishing fourth and fifth in the other semi.

Wales' Brett Morse finished fifth in the discus with 60.48.

There was desperate disappointment for Shara Proctor, a strong medal hope in the long jump, as she was forced to pull out through injury.

The Anguilla-born 25-year-old retired from the final, clutching her thigh in obvious discomfort after pulling up on the runway.