Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher is to continue his rehabilitation in Switzerland having emerged from a coma after almost six months.

The 45-year-old has left the hospital in Grenoble where he was put into an artificially-induced coma following a skiing accident in the French Alps in late December.

Schumacher has been transferred to the University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV) where he will continue his recovery from the serious head injuries he received while on the slopes in the French alpine resort of Meribel.

"I can confirm that he has been admitted on Monday morning," said hospital spokesman Darcy Christen.

"I can't say anything about his medical status. We have decided to ensure for him and his family privacy and medical confidentiality."

Schumacher's management company - whose previous update came in early April after he started to show "moments of consciousness" - earlier confirmed there had been a slight improvement in the former Ferrari driver's condition.

"Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma any more," said a statement.

"His family would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble, as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months.

"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. We are sure it helped him.

"For the future we ask for understanding his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."

The announcement was welcomed by Mercedes, with whom Schumacher raced for three years from 2010 when he made a largely unsuccessful return to racing.

"Encouraging news on Michael's condition this morning. We couldn't ask for a better start to the week. #KeepFightingMichael," the team said on Twitter.

Lewis Hamilton was delighted with the update on Schumacher as he said: "It's incredible news. Amazing.

"Everywhere I go people ask about him - the States, Canada. I could be at a petrol station in the States and people would ask about him.

"I've always kept him in my thoughts and prayers, and it's really positive to hear there is some progress."