Detectives are continuing to question a 31-year-old man over a hit-and-run rampage which saw pedestrians knocked down like bowling pins and left one woman dead.

Eyewitnesses told of their horror after watching a van mount the kerb at a number of locations in Cardiff in what appeared to be a deliberate attempt to harm people.

The dead woman - named locally as 32-year-old mother Karina Menzies - was among seven children and four adults hurt during Friday afternoon's incidents. She died after being knocked down outside a fire station in the Welsh capital.

Police received calls about an incident in Crossways Road in Ely at 3.30pm. This was soon followed by other reports of hit-and-run collisions in several locations in the west of the city, including Grand Avenue, Cowbridge Road West and the Leckwith Retail Park.

Tributes have been paid to Miss Menzies on social networking sites. Facebook user Katy Johanna Benson wrote: "Rest in piece Karina Menzies. Sleep tight beautiful angel and may the scum responsible for this senseless, evil murder be brought to justice. Cant imagine what her family are feeling."

Ely sub-postmaster Shady Taha, 29, had just served two girls aged about 10 and a woman in her mid-20s moments before one of the hit-and-runs in Grand Avenue, immediately outside a row of shops.

He said: "All of a sudden I heard a bang. I looked out and across the road one girl was on the floor and the other girl was screaming. I heard a van speed off but I did not see it."

The A&E department at the University Hospital of Wales was initially shut to anyone not involved in the incident but has now reopened. Dr Grahame Shortland, medical director at the hospital, said those being treated mostly had fractures and head injuries.

Among the crimes scenes are Ely Fire Station, an area near the Merrie Harrier pub in Llandough on the outskirts of Cardiff where the suspect was arrested, and Leckwith Retail Park - next to the Cardiff City Stadium.

South Wales Police said the suspect was arrested on Friday and is being questioned on suspicion of murder.