An assistant chief constable who had been suspended over allegations of gross misconduct and fraud has been found dead on a trainline in Gloucestershire after being hit by a train, police said.

The body of Assistant Chief Constable Gordon Fraser, from Leicestershire Police, was discovered after officers were called to reports of a man being struck by a train in Aston Magna, Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire, this afternoon.

Mr Fraser was pronounced dead at the scene. The death is not being treated as suspicious, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

He was due to appear at court in St Albans with his wife Teresa, also a serving officer, on Monday charged with perverting the course of justice over a speeding incident in Scotland, which was being investigated by Hertfordshire Constabulary, Leicestershire Police said.

It is alleged Mrs Fraser, who has been suspended from West Midlands Police pending the outcome of the investigation, accepted responsibility for a speeding offence committed by her husband in Strathclyde last September.

Mr Fraser had been suspended from duty since December 2010, pending a separate investigation being carried out by Merseyside Police, Leicestershire Police said. Merseyside Police confirmed earlier this year they were investigating Mr Fraser following allegations of misconduct and fraud.

Mr and Mrs Fraser, from Warwickshire, were charged with perverting the course of justice earlier this year after an investigation by Hertfordshire Police on behalf of Leicestershire Police Authority and in consultation with the CPS.

A British Transport Police spokeswoman said: "BTP officers were called to the railway line in Aston Magna, Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire, on Friday 19 October following a report of a man being struck by a train.

"BTP and Gloucestershire Constabulary officers attended the incident, which was reported to BTP at 12.20pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious. Paramedics from Great Western Ambulance Service also attended but the man was pronounced dead at the scene."

In a joint statement, Leicestershire Police Authority and Leicestershire Police said they were "deeply shocked and saddened" by the death and their "thoughts are with his family and friends".