When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Bali relatives seek final justice
Relatives of the British victims of the 2002 Bali bombings are calling for renewed efforts for a final suspect to stand trial as they prepare to mark the 10th anniversary of the tragedy on Friday.
A total of 202 people, including 28 Britons, were killed on October 12 2002, when the al Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiyah group launched terror attack on two Bali nightspots packed with tourists.
During the attack three bombs detonated - a backpack carried by a suicide bomber and a car bomb which both devastated Paddy's Pub and the Sari Club opposite, followed by a third device outside the US consulate in Denpasar.
Various members of Jemaah Islamiyah were convicted in relation to the bombings. Three - Imam Samudra, Amrozi Nurhasyim and Huda bin Abdul Haq - were executed by firing squad in November 2008.
The 10th anniversary of the attack - the deadliest on Indonesian soil - will be marked in Bali by hundreds of relatives and friends of the victims, but authorities have raised the country's security alert to its highest level after receiving intelligence of a threat to the ceremony.
The anniversary is also being marked in London by a closed service organised by the Foreign Office at the memorial to British and European victims near St James' Park. Relatives of the 28 British victims have also organised a service at St Paul's Church in Covent Garden.
But Susanna Miller, whose brother Dan, 31, died in the attacks, which left his wife Polly seriously injured, is calling for a final push to make sure those responsible are held to account. According to relatives of survivors, one of the terrorists associated in the bombing, Riduan Isamuddin, known as Hambali, is still being held in detention in America.
"We have been campaigning very hard over the years for him to stand trial and be charged. He has been in Guantanamo for nine years," said Ms Miller, 45.
Branding the situation an "open travesty of human rights", she added: "It plays brilliantly into hands of the recruiting sergeants for al Qaida. "We find ourselves in this slightly curious position of fighting for the rights of one of the people responsible for the deaths of our relatives."
Ms Miller visited the Foreign Office last week to discuss the issue and a spokesman confirmed it is being looked into. She said feeling justice had been served would make victims' relatives "minds quieter". "My brother was a lawyer, he believed in justice, he believed in the rule of law and it's particularly invidious that the single most important trial has not taken place and the detention of this terrorist actively helps recruit others."