A couple who were arrested after a shooting incident during a burglary at their home will not face criminal charges, prosecutors have announced.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had made the decision not to take action against Andy and Tracey Ferrie after a senior official visited their home in Welby, Leicestershire.
In a statement released by the CPS, Judith Walker, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: "Looking at the evidence, it is clear to me that Mr and Mrs Ferrie did what they believed was necessary to protect themselves, and their home, from intruders."
Mr and Mrs Ferrie were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm after a legally-owned shotgun was fired during a break-in in the early hours of Sunday.
The couple were released on police bail on Tuesday as police announced that two men had been charged with burgling the property near Melton Mowbray.
In her statement, Ms Walker confirmed that Leicestershire Police had now been advised to release the couple from their bail.
Ms Walker said: "Earlier this afternoon, the head of the East Midlands Complex Casework Unit, Lawrence English, visited the scene of the incident to see for himself whether the accounts given by Mr and Mrs Ferrie were consistent with other evidence of what happened.
"As Crown Prosecutors we look at all cases on their merit and according to the evidence in the individual case. I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence.
"The law is clear that anyone who acts in good faith, using reasonable force, doing what they honestly feel is necessary to protect themselves, their families or their property, will not be prosecuted for such action.
"We have therefore advised Leicestershire Police that Mr and Mrs Ferrie should be released from their bail as they will not face any charges over what happened."