Potter urges Oxford United fans to keep the faith

Alfie Potter gets a shot away against Gillingham

Alfie Potter gets a shot away against Gillingham

First published in U's News Banbury Cake: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

ALFIE Potter is hoping Oxford United’s supporters stick with the side again tomorrow.

The side are on a poor run and will be looking to bounce back from a heavy defeat at Port Vale on Monday when they take on Accrington Stanley.

Despite slipping to 19th in the npower League Two table, the U’s fans have remained largely upbeat during games.

It was most clearly illustrated earlier this month, when a positive atmosphere at the Kassam helped United come from behind to beat AFC Wimbledon.

Potter admitted it made a huge difference and urged supporters to stick with them.

He said: “The fans have stuck with us even though results haven’t been what they should have been. “I’m not surprised because the fans have always been great, but when you lose six on the bounce you expect a few moans.

But the majority of fans stood up and you could see the lift it gave us against Wimbledon.”

Potter is keen to play a key role tomorrow as he looks to recapture the form which saw him make a flying start to the campaign.

He said: “I want to get back, both individually and as a team, to how we were playing at the start of the season.”

Related links

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:34am Fri 19 Oct 12

northampton yellow says...

alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................
alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................ northampton yellow
  • Score: 1

11:58am Fri 19 Oct 12

Mick E says...

northampton yellow wrote:
alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................
Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe?
[quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................[/p][/quote]Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe? Mick E
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Fri 19 Oct 12

northampton yellow says...

Mick E wrote:
northampton yellow wrote:
alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................
Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe?
Its just my opion everybody 2their own would you rather see a change or watch the bsp again coz this is a complete mess
[quote][p][bold]Mick E[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................[/p][/quote]Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe?[/p][/quote]Its just my opion everybody 2their own would you rather see a change or watch the bsp again coz this is a complete mess northampton yellow
  • Score: 2

1:51pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Mick E says...

northampton yellow wrote:
Mick E wrote:
northampton yellow wrote: alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................
Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe?
Its just my opion everybody 2their own would you rather see a change or watch the bsp again coz this is a complete mess
Well for a start we won't be in the bsp next year, there's no chance at all, look at the bookies odds, Oxford are still 50/1 for relegation so if you really think that then get down to Ladbrokes & put your money where your mouth is! Negativity breeds negativity, and if there are 4 or 5000 fans booing tmrw & chanting 'wilder out' then Oxford will lose. We won the match against Wimbledon, and by 'we' I mean the fans. Which manager in the BSP or below is good enough to manage Oxford? There are none above that level (ie L1 or L2) who will want the job, a team with little/no money is never a nice prospect for a manager, and a team with fans who constantly vilify the manager will never attract good managers. I wouldn't even give up my day job to manage Oxford.
[quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mick E[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: alfie its to late m8 we pay good money each week and 20pound at vale on monday the price and the team was a joke ,we the supporters pay your wages and with a small gate 2moz i think mr lenegan must act now ,or whould he rather see us in the bsp after all hes still got wigan rugby ,i can here us all sing wider out ,god help us if we lose, but i will be their for more punishment on watching this team ................[/p][/quote]Don't come then mate, the team is better off without your 'support'. Who is available to replace Wilder? You maybe?[/p][/quote]Its just my opion everybody 2their own would you rather see a change or watch the bsp again coz this is a complete mess[/p][/quote]Well for a start we won't be in the bsp next year, there's no chance at all, look at the bookies odds, Oxford are still 50/1 for relegation so if you really think that then get down to Ladbrokes & put your money where your mouth is! Negativity breeds negativity, and if there are 4 or 5000 fans booing tmrw & chanting 'wilder out' then Oxford will lose. We won the match against Wimbledon, and by 'we' I mean the fans. Which manager in the BSP or below is good enough to manage Oxford? There are none above that level (ie L1 or L2) who will want the job, a team with little/no money is never a nice prospect for a manager, and a team with fans who constantly vilify the manager will never attract good managers. I wouldn't even give up my day job to manage Oxford. Mick E
  • Score: 2

5:04pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Manor Born says...

Mick, you say we won't go down because the bookies have us at 50-1? What were the odds of us going down at this time of the season the last time we were relegated? I seem to recall us being in a much better position prior to Christmas that season.

We are not too good to go down. In fact on current form were are too poor to stay up.

The age old argument, who would you replace Wilder with is growing tired now. It is not our job as fans to choose the manager. In fact the last time we did get "our" man in - he turned out to be a bit of a disaster (Malcolm Shotton). There are plenty of good managers out of work and heck, why not take an opportunity on an unknown young manager with fresh ideas - it seems to have worked for a number of teams over the years including our arch rivals from down the road on several occasions.

As for constantly villifying the manager, I think most Oxford supporters have been very patient with Mr. Wilder. Most respect what he has achieved and I suspect most would be sad to see him leave (myself included). However, the current situation is not acceptable and it is mainly of the manager's making. What about the injuries I hear you cry! Well, as said previously, who is it who bought these players to the club, who's training regime do these players work to week-in-week-out?

The chairman has introduced measures to try and rectify the damage of a previously shambolic fitness and conditioning regime, but this will take time.

In the meantime, the manager has blown his budget on mediocre players who are not up to the job of replacing those who he knew would be on the treatment table for a considerable portion of the season.

This is entirely the manager's fault and as sad as it is to say, it is time for him to make way for a guy who knows how to motivate the players he has got, give him time to assess those players before the transfer window opens again and then ship out those he deems are not up to the job.

If we continue the way we are going, it will not be very long before those odds you have quoted come tumbling down at a rate faster than Felix Baumgartner.
Mick, you say we won't go down because the bookies have us at 50-1? What were the odds of us going down at this time of the season the last time we were relegated? I seem to recall us being in a much better position prior to Christmas that season. We are not too good to go down. In fact on current form were are too poor to stay up. The age old argument, who would you replace Wilder with is growing tired now. It is not our job as fans to choose the manager. In fact the last time we did get "our" man in - he turned out to be a bit of a disaster (Malcolm Shotton). There are plenty of good managers out of work and heck, why not take an opportunity on an unknown young manager with fresh ideas - it seems to have worked for a number of teams over the years including our arch rivals from down the road on several occasions. As for constantly villifying the manager, I think most Oxford supporters have been very patient with Mr. Wilder. Most respect what he has achieved and I suspect most would be sad to see him leave (myself included). However, the current situation is not acceptable and it is mainly of the manager's making. What about the injuries I hear you cry! Well, as said previously, who is it who bought these players to the club, who's training regime do these players work to week-in-week-out? The chairman has introduced measures to try and rectify the damage of a previously shambolic fitness and conditioning regime, but this will take time. In the meantime, the manager has blown his budget on mediocre players who are not up to the job of replacing those who he knew would be on the treatment table for a considerable portion of the season. This is entirely the manager's fault and as sad as it is to say, it is time for him to make way for a guy who knows how to motivate the players he has got, give him time to assess those players before the transfer window opens again and then ship out those he deems are not up to the job. If we continue the way we are going, it will not be very long before those odds you have quoted come tumbling down at a rate faster than Felix Baumgartner. Manor Born
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Fri 19 Oct 12

jbowling says...

We are in fact 20/1 to go down not 50/1 so get your facts right.

We are 16/1 to be promoted with VC so it you think Mr Wilder will deliver the good you cab do the same.

To think there is no one on the planet who can replace him is ludicrous
We are in fact 20/1 to go down not 50/1 so get your facts right. We are 16/1 to be promoted with VC so it you think Mr Wilder will deliver the good you cab do the same. To think there is no one on the planet who can replace him is ludicrous jbowling
  • Score: -1

5:23pm Fri 19 Oct 12

jbowling says...

that's 20/1 with Ladbrokes others are shorter
that's 20/1 with Ladbrokes others are shorter jbowling
  • Score: 0

5:46pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Merekat1 says...

I am not a Wilder fan as you all know and sooner he goes the better in my book. However not to support him when the match is in progress would be folly for it is our club, not his and a further fall from grace would see us hurtle towards the dreaded Conference.
I am not a Wilder fan as you all know and sooner he goes the better in my book. However not to support him when the match is in progress would be folly for it is our club, not his and a further fall from grace would see us hurtle towards the dreaded Conference. Merekat1
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree