Wilder: Injuries restricted what I could do

Banbury Cake: Chris Wilder Chris Wilder

CHRIS Wilder knows that Oxford United ’s performance against Bradford was nowhere near good enough, writes MARK EDWARDS.

But the U’s manager said that with nine players unavailable to start the match, his hands were tied in terms of the team he picked.

Naming Sean Rigg as a substitute was the only selection dilemma facing Wilder ahead of Saturday’s match.

And with Lee Cox playing despite not being fully fit, the formation of his side also picked itself.

“I don’t think I have been dealt a great hand at the moment,” Wilder said.

“That’s not me trying to spin anything, that’s me being honest.

“I had nine players who I couldn’t start the game with, and some big players as well. I think people appreciate that because it is a massive number.

“The supporters tried to raise us today – and yes there were bits and pieces said from some people – but they could see the lack of confidence out there.”

He added: “Usually in a 23-man squad you would have 12 decisions to make (for the bench), but today I had one.

“Riggy was the only decision I had to make.

“Leven, Smalley and Worley were on the bench, but they can’t start games at the moment.

“And as for formation, I couldn’t play 4-4-2, so I was very limited.

“The display was not good enough, but I would say please judge us when we have everyone back.

“Of course, I understand that football is not always like that and you don’t always have the opportunity to pick everybody, but nine players is a huge amount.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:12am Mon 24 Sep 12

Open your eyes says...

Boring.

Not only are the 'injuries' being used - we had the same batch of players less Chapman injured when we won three out of three, but your restriction to consider anything other than 4-3-3 also didn't help.

How about playing players who could fit into a formation, Chirs? How about Calpadi at LM in a four man midfield (maybe Potter or Rigg could have filled that odd RM position), O'Brien LB - that sounds a novel idea!

No No No, you couldn't possibly do that and take any blame or responsibility.

Get out of the club.
Boring. Not only are the 'injuries' being used - we had the same batch of players less Chapman injured when we won three out of three, but your restriction to consider anything other than 4-3-3 also didn't help. How about playing players who could fit into a formation, Chirs? How about Calpadi at LM in a four man midfield (maybe Potter or Rigg could have filled that odd RM position), O'Brien LB - that sounds a novel idea! No No No, you couldn't possibly do that and take any blame or responsibility. Get out of the club. Open your eyes

10:19am Mon 24 Sep 12

oufcmainman says...

Whilst I sympathise with Chris, i have to ask myself, if we are missing nine good players, why are the rest even in the squad if they are not up to the standard of football in League One. Why were they not got rid of in the transfer window, or why were they bought in the first place.
Whilst I sympathise with Chris, i have to ask myself, if we are missing nine good players, why are the rest even in the squad if they are not up to the standard of football in League One. Why were they not got rid of in the transfer window, or why were they bought in the first place. oufcmainman

10:47am Mon 24 Sep 12

yeomanry says...

have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!!
have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!! yeomanry

11:04am Mon 24 Sep 12

Ians view says...

Someone didn't open their eyes... Capaldi played midfield, with O'Brien at left back... Would you really want Rigg on the right when he plays on the left? Any more ideas? Brown in goal with Clarke playing centre forward perhaps?

It's not just that nine players are out, it's the fact that many of them are midfielders that is hurting. If one of the nine was a goal keeper, it would have lessened the impact.

The only fully fit senior midfielder is playing so poorly at the moment that he is being substituted...
Someone didn't open their eyes... Capaldi played midfield, with O'Brien at left back... Would you really want Rigg on the right when he plays on the left? Any more ideas? Brown in goal with Clarke playing centre forward perhaps? It's not just that nine players are out, it's the fact that many of them are midfielders that is hurting. If one of the nine was a goal keeper, it would have lessened the impact. The only fully fit senior midfielder is playing so poorly at the moment that he is being substituted... Ians view

11:32am Mon 24 Sep 12

Underfaker says...

Easy solution to all our problems Wilder just walk away please
Easy solution to all our problems Wilder just walk away please Underfaker

11:49am Mon 24 Sep 12

Merekat1 says...

Wilder is in complete denial.

Please please please walk away Mr Wilder for you are well and truly out of your depth.
Wilder is in complete denial. Please please please walk away Mr Wilder for you are well and truly out of your depth. Merekat1

11:50am Mon 24 Sep 12

Southstandupper says...

Think I am missing something here. Last year we had excuses regarding injury problems, then, in the summer did we not have new fitness equipment installed into the club at 'great expense', were we not supposed to be linked with rugby fitness coaches to stop injuries to make us fit and strong!!!!! Ok one or two injuries can't be helped ie Duberry but what is going on!!! seems to me we could have just bought 3 or 4 new players with the money wasted on fitness equipment, if you want them fit CW and IL 10 mile runs over shotover should do the trick. I wont say CW out or IL out as there is little anyone can do with the current squad and who would want to buy Oxford United under present circumstances So get the players back in full training and fit then lets see if CW can turn things around. If no improvement then time to change things.
Think I am missing something here. Last year we had excuses regarding injury problems, then, in the summer did we not have new fitness equipment installed into the club at 'great expense', were we not supposed to be linked with rugby fitness coaches to stop injuries to make us fit and strong!!!!! Ok one or two injuries can't be helped ie Duberry but what is going on!!! seems to me we could have just bought 3 or 4 new players with the money wasted on fitness equipment, if you want them fit CW and IL 10 mile runs over shotover should do the trick. I wont say CW out or IL out as there is little anyone can do with the current squad and who would want to buy Oxford United under present circumstances So get the players back in full training and fit then lets see if CW can turn things around. If no improvement then time to change things. Southstandupper

11:54am Mon 24 Sep 12

AylesburyOx says...

I haven't even bothered to read this article as I know it'll just be same old same old.
Mr Wilder YOU sign the players - if they are not up to standard then that's on you!
You also coach them so if they don't know their ar*e from their elbow then that is also down to you.

We were shocking and I'm sick of saying it every week - you should of gone at the end of last season. You HAVE to go now for the sake of the players, club and most of all fans!
I haven't even bothered to read this article as I know it'll just be same old same old. Mr Wilder YOU sign the players - if they are not up to standard then that's on you! You also coach them so if they don't know their ar*e from their elbow then that is also down to you. We were shocking and I'm sick of saying it every week - you should of gone at the end of last season. You HAVE to go now for the sake of the players, club and most of all fans! AylesburyOx

12:03pm Mon 24 Sep 12

BigOx22 says...

Ians view - Yes correct Capaldi did play midfield but as part of 433 would have been better playing 442. Luke O'brien played well and didn't deserve to be taken off. Should have taken Capaldi and Heslop off and brought on Lev and Rigg and gone 442. But never the less we were poor and changes need to happen. Give Ty Marsh as chance, against Leeds he looks better then 90% of the starting 11 in the 5 mins he got. Someone will snap him up and play him and we will lose out again.
Ians view - Yes correct Capaldi did play midfield but as part of 433 would have been better playing 442. Luke O'brien played well and didn't deserve to be taken off. Should have taken Capaldi and Heslop off and brought on Lev and Rigg and gone 442. But never the less we were poor and changes need to happen. Give Ty Marsh as chance, against Leeds he looks better then 90% of the starting 11 in the 5 mins he got. Someone will snap him up and play him and we will lose out again. BigOx22

3:16pm Mon 24 Sep 12

jonny1976 says...

Too many people play football manager on playstation and think they know it all.

After what i heard today from a reputible source the problem is not Wilder but Lenagan. If Lenagan gets rid of Wilder he will not be able to replace him with a better one because he doesn't want to pay for it. Lenagan is taking the club into the same direction as Kassam did.

Another loss is annoying but its not the end of the world, all will come good.

In Wilder we trust
Lenagan OUT!
Too many people play football manager on playstation and think they know it all. After what i heard today from a reputible source the problem is not Wilder but Lenagan. If Lenagan gets rid of Wilder he will not be able to replace him with a better one because he doesn't want to pay for it. Lenagan is taking the club into the same direction as Kassam did. Another loss is annoying but its not the end of the world, all will come good. In Wilder we trust Lenagan OUT! jonny1976

3:24pm Mon 24 Sep 12

AylesburyOx says...

jonny1976 wrote:
Too many people play football manager on playstation and think they know it all.

After what i heard today from a reputible source the problem is not Wilder but Lenagan. If Lenagan gets rid of Wilder he will not be able to replace him with a better one because he doesn't want to pay for it. Lenagan is taking the club into the same direction as Kassam did.

Another loss is annoying but its not the end of the world, all will come good.

In Wilder we trust
Lenagan OUT!
I play Footy Manager but don't pretend to know the first thing about managing a club in real life, however I know the difference between a side that's just having a 'blip' and one that has simply run out of ideas.
The squad look fractured, toothless and worst of all, disinterested. This is down to the manager, Chris Wilder, it is his squad. He has reached the limit of his ability and must now step aside.

As for your reputable source, I also have one at the club who says the exact opposite and it is Wilder who feels he is bigger than the club.
I know who I choose to believe.
[quote][p][bold]jonny1976[/bold] wrote: Too many people play football manager on playstation and think they know it all. After what i heard today from a reputible source the problem is not Wilder but Lenagan. If Lenagan gets rid of Wilder he will not be able to replace him with a better one because he doesn't want to pay for it. Lenagan is taking the club into the same direction as Kassam did. Another loss is annoying but its not the end of the world, all will come good. In Wilder we trust Lenagan OUT![/p][/quote]I play Footy Manager but don't pretend to know the first thing about managing a club in real life, however I know the difference between a side that's just having a 'blip' and one that has simply run out of ideas. The squad look fractured, toothless and worst of all, disinterested. This is down to the manager, Chris Wilder, it is his squad. He has reached the limit of his ability and must now step aside. As for your reputable source, I also have one at the club who says the exact opposite and it is Wilder who feels he is bigger than the club. I know who I choose to believe. AylesburyOx

3:25pm Mon 24 Sep 12

oldun says...

We don't know it all - but it's not rocket science to see that we have struggled badly since February. 442
We don't know it all - but it's not rocket science to see that we have struggled badly since February. 442 oldun

4:51pm Mon 24 Sep 12

Atomic1 says...

So many reputable sources any one know next weeks lottery numbers?
So many reputable sources any one know next weeks lottery numbers? Atomic1

5:59pm Mon 24 Sep 12

Bis4badger says...

Let's look at the scenario, If CW is sacked he will have to be paid off for the remainder of his contract, which will cost a few bob, we then have to take a chance on his replacement being up for the job (look at other managers in the past who just weren't up to it) to work with our current squad, next thing we're in deep dodo. Though I do have to question if CW can take us any further we may be better off with the devil we know. Yes injuries have had a massive impact so far this season but it just goes to show the assembled squad is/was too small and imbalanced to be competitive over a full season and the reliance of loan signings is not a route we should go down (this was brought home at the end of last season) with the under performance of so many!
Let's look at the scenario, If CW is sacked he will have to be paid off for the remainder of his contract, which will cost a few bob, we then have to take a chance on his replacement being up for the job (look at other managers in the past who just weren't up to it) to work with our current squad, next thing we're in deep dodo. Though I do have to question if CW can take us any further we may be better off with the devil we know. Yes injuries have had a massive impact so far this season but it just goes to show the assembled squad is/was too small and imbalanced to be competitive over a full season and the reliance of loan signings is not a route we should go down (this was brought home at the end of last season) with the under performance of so many! Bis4badger

5:59pm Mon 24 Sep 12

BigYellowScarf says...

yeomanry wrote:
have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!!
So, as I understand you, it doesn’t matter who’s unavailable in a squad – no team misses injured players because you just shove in other members of the squad, all of them equally good “because otherwise they shouldn’t be at the club”. WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? Every club in the universe, from the stellar down to the lowest leagues, has a combination of players that is clearly the best, and starts to suffer as soon as ONE of them is out of the equation, let alone half a dozen all at the same time. By your argument, you could just pick eleven out of a hat each week. I’m as cheesed off as anyone by the current run, but does anyone, anyone at all, think CW has been able to play ANYTHING LIKE his best starting eleven since February? I think we can all name a starting eleven that would see us in the leading pack - with others in the squad replacing / providing fresh legs in ones and twos rather than sevens - and that eleven (or anything like it) is NOT AVAILABLE TO HIM. This isn’t an excuse, it’s a deeply frustrating fact. All teams have injuries, yes, but let’s be fair – it’s rarely on THIS scale and for SO LONG. Get behind him, and get behind the team, as he tries to manage his way through it. Come on you yellows.
[quote][p][bold]yeomanry[/bold] wrote: have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!![/p][/quote]So, as I understand you, it doesn’t matter who’s unavailable in a squad – no team misses injured players because you just shove in other members of the squad, all of them equally good “because otherwise they shouldn’t be at the club”. WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? Every club in the universe, from the stellar down to the lowest leagues, has a combination of players that is clearly the best, and starts to suffer as soon as ONE of them is out of the equation, let alone half a dozen all at the same time. By your argument, you could just pick eleven out of a hat each week. I’m as cheesed off as anyone by the current run, but does anyone, anyone at all, think CW has been able to play ANYTHING LIKE his best starting eleven since February? I think we can all name a starting eleven that would see us in the leading pack - with others in the squad replacing / providing fresh legs in ones and twos rather than sevens - and that eleven (or anything like it) is NOT AVAILABLE TO HIM. This isn’t an excuse, it’s a deeply frustrating fact. All teams have injuries, yes, but let’s be fair – it’s rarely on THIS scale and for SO LONG. Get behind him, and get behind the team, as he tries to manage his way through it. Come on you yellows. BigYellowScarf

7:35pm Mon 24 Sep 12

adlibber says...

Get behind Wilder??? Seriously? He has to go he's recycling excuses to the point of nausea - He has run out of ideas and I'm not sure how many players are prepared to play as they should under a one dimensional manager - not defending the players here either they deserve a boot up the jacksy. You can't lose 5 games on the bounce and use injuries as an excuse. I really can't see what else Wilder can offer this club any more.

Lenagan isn't helping the cause with his unprofessional attitude and he should at least make a statement about where the club is heading. If he wants out then it's up to him to find a buyer. as long as he keeps Wilder and the woeful performances he's producing on the pitch Lenagan will lose money so it makes more sense for him to act sooner.

I have no faith at all in Wilder I'm so sick of his repetition of mistakes.and laughable excuses
Get behind Wilder??? Seriously? He has to go he's recycling excuses to the point of nausea - He has run out of ideas and I'm not sure how many players are prepared to play as they should under a one dimensional manager - not defending the players here either they deserve a boot up the jacksy. You can't lose 5 games on the bounce and use injuries as an excuse. I really can't see what else Wilder can offer this club any more. Lenagan isn't helping the cause with his unprofessional attitude and he should at least make a statement about where the club is heading. If he wants out then it's up to him to find a buyer. as long as he keeps Wilder and the woeful performances he's producing on the pitch Lenagan will lose money so it makes more sense for him to act sooner. I have no faith at all in Wilder I'm so sick of his repetition of mistakes.and laughable excuses adlibber

7:52pm Mon 24 Sep 12

Brenda Jackson says...

CW having won 5 yes 5 matches in the League out of the last 25- Only Now is considering changing his beloved 4-3-3
and wants his team to play 'More Direct' Football!!

I'd leave it another dozen matches or So Mr Wilder, you might get lucky yet.
CW having won 5 yes 5 matches in the League out of the last 25- Only Now is considering changing his beloved 4-3-3 and wants his team to play 'More Direct' Football!! I'd leave it another dozen matches or So Mr Wilder, you might get lucky yet. Brenda Jackson

8:54pm Mon 24 Sep 12

wilder go please says...

BigYellowScarf wrote:
yeomanry wrote: have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!!
So, as I understand you, it doesn’t matter who’s unavailable in a squad – no team misses injured players because you just shove in other members of the squad, all of them equally good “because otherwise they shouldn’t be at the club”. WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? Every club in the universe, from the stellar down to the lowest leagues, has a combination of players that is clearly the best, and starts to suffer as soon as ONE of them is out of the equation, let alone half a dozen all at the same time. By your argument, you could just pick eleven out of a hat each week. I’m as cheesed off as anyone by the current run, but does anyone, anyone at all, think CW has been able to play ANYTHING LIKE his best starting eleven since February? I think we can all name a starting eleven that would see us in the leading pack - with others in the squad replacing / providing fresh legs in ones and twos rather than sevens - and that eleven (or anything like it) is NOT AVAILABLE TO HIM. This isn’t an excuse, it’s a deeply frustrating fact. All teams have injuries, yes, but let’s be fair – it’s rarely on THIS scale and for SO LONG. Get behind him, and get behind the team, as he tries to manage his way through it. Come on you yellows.
Come on, you're just another head in the sand disciple, coming up with the same old boring spin.
wilder has used injuries as an excuse for years. Every team is dealt the same hand regarding injuries, we are no different. wilder's training methods must be partly to blame.
wilder please walk, you are now starting to rile on many supporters, you are pulling the team down from where you brought it.
Unfortunately, you are a typical arrogant northener, you will therefore hopefully be pushed on Tuesday.

WILDER OUT, NOW!!!!
[quote][p][bold]BigYellowScarf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yeomanry[/bold] wrote: have to agree, a player is signed on because he is good enough to be in our team; if they are ot good enough why are they here ?!!![/p][/quote]So, as I understand you, it doesn’t matter who’s unavailable in a squad – no team misses injured players because you just shove in other members of the squad, all of them equally good “because otherwise they shouldn’t be at the club”. WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? Every club in the universe, from the stellar down to the lowest leagues, has a combination of players that is clearly the best, and starts to suffer as soon as ONE of them is out of the equation, let alone half a dozen all at the same time. By your argument, you could just pick eleven out of a hat each week. I’m as cheesed off as anyone by the current run, but does anyone, anyone at all, think CW has been able to play ANYTHING LIKE his best starting eleven since February? I think we can all name a starting eleven that would see us in the leading pack - with others in the squad replacing / providing fresh legs in ones and twos rather than sevens - and that eleven (or anything like it) is NOT AVAILABLE TO HIM. This isn’t an excuse, it’s a deeply frustrating fact. All teams have injuries, yes, but let’s be fair – it’s rarely on THIS scale and for SO LONG. Get behind him, and get behind the team, as he tries to manage his way through it. Come on you yellows.[/p][/quote]Come on, you're just another head in the sand disciple, coming up with the same old boring spin. wilder has used injuries as an excuse for years. Every team is dealt the same hand regarding injuries, we are no different. wilder's training methods must be partly to blame. wilder please walk, you are now starting to rile on many supporters, you are pulling the team down from where you brought it. Unfortunately, you are a typical arrogant northener, you will therefore hopefully be pushed on Tuesday. WILDER OUT, NOW!!!! wilder go please

1:50pm Tue 25 Sep 12

marathon2012 says...

These are the sort of posts that should be published in the Oxford mail just to show the rest of the supporters and the general public what is going on and not going on behind the scenes at oxford CW AND LANABANG will not read these posts nor half of the supporters or even the players come on oxford mail print some of these then everyone can see the troubles behind the club and see what the loyal fans think.
These are the sort of posts that should be published in the Oxford mail just to show the rest of the supporters and the general public what is going on and not going on behind the scenes at oxford CW AND LANABANG will not read these posts nor half of the supporters or even the players come on oxford mail print some of these then everyone can see the troubles behind the club and see what the loyal fans think. marathon2012

6:58pm Tue 25 Sep 12

WindsorYellow says...

Let's look at the facts . Lenegoon, has invested a 6 figure sum . Into strength and conditioning coaches. And sports equipment. Great! So why have we got more bloody injuries now than we did last year Wilder p**s off out of our club
Let's look at the facts . Lenegoon, has invested a 6 figure sum . Into strength and conditioning coaches. And sports equipment. Great! So why have we got more bloody injuries now than we did last year Wilder p**s off out of our club WindsorYellow

9:08pm Tue 25 Sep 12

snaggle says...

Thought i was reading the Bucks Free Press with all these comments but realised it was CW and not GW you were referring to. You seem to have the same issues that we have had with regards to Gary Waddock. He too was in denial, never his fault, too many injuries, we have got a great buch here etc. After the start the U's had i thought this was going to be your season along with Rotherham, so cannot understand how you have lost the last 5. Are you confident that CW is the man to take you forward or do you feel that he has run his course?.
Thought i was reading the Bucks Free Press with all these comments but realised it was CW and not GW you were referring to. You seem to have the same issues that we have had with regards to Gary Waddock. He too was in denial, never his fault, too many injuries, we have got a great buch here etc. After the start the U's had i thought this was going to be your season along with Rotherham, so cannot understand how you have lost the last 5. Are you confident that CW is the man to take you forward or do you feel that he has run his course?. snaggle

9:44pm Tue 25 Sep 12

oldun says...

Take us forward???? Forward to end of season relegation - then the two giants Luton and United can re-lock horns before 12,000 crowds - mind you as you haters of little innocuous Colchester know , we have just one rival (partic now Reading are light years ahead of us)
Take us forward???? Forward to end of season relegation - then the two giants Luton and United can re-lock horns before 12,000 crowds - mind you as you haters of little innocuous Colchester know , we have just one rival (partic now Reading are light years ahead of us) oldun

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree