Johnstone's Paint Trophy 1st round

ALFIE Potter's late goal gave Oxford United a deserved victory to continue their superb run against Swindon Town.

The substitute tapped in James Constable's cross to seal a fourth successive derby victory for the U's over their rivals.

It gave a dramatic finish to an intense game, played out in a terrific atmosphere at the Kassam Stadium.

Just as they had done in both league victories last season, United defended superbly, with Jake Wright producing a towering performance at centre half.

As expected both sides made changes from the weekend.

United's reshuffled XI saw a new front three of Jon-Paul Pittman, Constable and Tom Craddock, while Daniel Boateng made his first start in midfield.

The atmosphere steadily built up to kick-off and was electric when the game began.

As you would expect in a derby, the opening exchanges were played at a frantic pace.

United did most of the pressing, without getting a clear sight of Wes Foderingham's goal.

At the other end Giles Coke, one of six players brought into the Swindon side, had the first chance when he swapped passes with Paul Benson, but he lashed wide.

The bumper home crowd divided their attention between voicing their support for Chris Wilder and criticising Paolo Di Canio in the opposing technical area.

United enjoyed good spells before half-time, but were unable to forge a clear chance as Swindon's defence stood firm.

The visitors had the best of the few opportunities, none better than debutant Darren Ward, who headed Coke's 23rd minute free kick over when he should have done better.

The U's back four, who were criticised for errors in Saturday's 3-1 defeat at York, were back to their best.

Wright led by example and several dangerous moments were snuffed out by brave blocks.

The hosts' best moment in the first half came on 32 minutes. Adam Chapman's through ball appeared to set Pittman through, but Federico Bessone raced across to make a last-ditch tackle.

The interval did nothing to slow the tempo once the second half began and United again made the faster start.

An early free kick fell to Craddock's feet, but the striker was caught flat-footed and could not make a meaningful contact.

Potter's introduction gave United an added cutting edge and the winger wasted little time in making an impact with two jinking runs.

With the defensive-minded Boateng making way, it opened the game up at both ends.

Neither goalkeeper was really tested until 15 minutes from time, when a sweetly struck free kick from Forster-Caskey was tipped over by Wes Foderingham.

The game looked destined for a penalty shoot-out, but three minutes from time the Kassam Stadium erupted.

A harmless clearance forward saw two Town defenders go for the same ball, which fell to Constable. The striker seized on the chance, running into the box and squaring for an unmarked Potter, who buried the chance.

United saw out the remaining minutes without any scares, before the celebrations began in earnest.