Oxford United call press conference

Banbury Cake: Oxford United call press conference Oxford United call press conference

Speculation over the future of Oxford United's ownership is set to become clearer after the club called a press conference for 2pm today.

It is more than a week since news broke over the possibility of a takeover, with two consortiums known to be in the running.

So far U's owner and chairman Ian Lenagan has not commented on the situation, but it is understood he will be present this afternoon.

  • Latest United news:

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:42pm Fri 4 Jul 14

jonny1976 says...

Do the right thing Mr Lenegan.
Do the right thing Mr Lenegan. jonny1976
  • Score: 8

2:05pm Fri 4 Jul 14

bsoufc1986 says...

He hasn't done this he has sold to the Ashton consortium. Let's hop something good does come out of this
He hasn't done this he has sold to the Ashton consortium. Let's hop something good does come out of this bsoufc1986
  • Score: 9

2:07pm Fri 4 Jul 14

bsoufc1986 says...

"hope"
"hope" bsoufc1986
  • Score: 3

2:17pm Fri 4 Jul 14

jonny1976 says...

was hoping he would sell to 'the fans' but alas. was considering a season ticket. not now.
was hoping he would sell to 'the fans' but alas. was considering a season ticket. not now. jonny1976
  • Score: 3

2:26pm Fri 4 Jul 14

jonny1976 says...

he only sold part of Oxford United not all
he only sold part of Oxford United not all jonny1976
  • Score: 7

2:28pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Bumble08 says...

So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..
So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far.. Bumble08
  • Score: 7

2:38pm Fri 4 Jul 14

South Upper 87 says...

Bumble08 wrote:
So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..
Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad.
[quote][p][bold]Bumble08[/bold] wrote: So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..[/p][/quote]Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad. South Upper 87
  • Score: 10

2:43pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Bumble08 says...

South Upper 87 wrote:
Bumble08 wrote:
So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..
Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad.
Waddock wasn't really the right man we know he was the cheapest on offer... And to be fair his record last season wasn't filling me with confidence for this!

There is also no point of appointing an investor that hasn't got cash to inject in to the club.

Positive all round if you ask me...
[quote][p][bold]South Upper 87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bumble08[/bold] wrote: So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..[/p][/quote]Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad.[/p][/quote]Waddock wasn't really the right man we know he was the cheapest on offer... And to be fair his record last season wasn't filling me with confidence for this! There is also no point of appointing an investor that hasn't got cash to inject in to the club. Positive all round if you ask me... Bumble08
  • Score: 7

2:55pm Fri 4 Jul 14

kangaroo_joey says...

Will there be a sudden rush for season tickets now this has been announced.
Will there be a sudden rush for season tickets now this has been announced. kangaroo_joey
  • Score: 3

2:58pm Fri 4 Jul 14

87oufc says...

Bumble08 wrote:
South Upper 87 wrote:
Bumble08 wrote:
So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..
Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad.
Waddock wasn't really the right man we know he was the cheapest on offer... And to be fair his record last season wasn't filling me with confidence for this!

There is also no point of appointing an investor that hasn't got cash to inject in to the club.

Positive all round if you ask me...
He wasn't the cheapest, he was second choice/best. A friend I see every week has a friend who's family companion was on the touchline every match and was told that Waddock wasn't the first choice.
[quote][p][bold]Bumble08[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]South Upper 87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bumble08[/bold] wrote: So IL still involved but with new investment... Waddock out and micheal Appleton in, fairly happy with all so far..[/p][/quote]Crazy happenings really. Lenagan takes months to appoint 'the right person' in Waddock then sacks him after about eight games. Not sure that Appleton has more to offer than Waddock...at least Waddock has achieved promotions in his carreer. No mention in the club's statement about putting cash into the squad.[/p][/quote]Waddock wasn't really the right man we know he was the cheapest on offer... And to be fair his record last season wasn't filling me with confidence for this! There is also no point of appointing an investor that hasn't got cash to inject in to the club. Positive all round if you ask me...[/p][/quote]He wasn't the cheapest, he was second choice/best. A friend I see every week has a friend who's family companion was on the touchline every match and was told that Waddock wasn't the first choice. 87oufc
  • Score: 0

3:56pm Fri 4 Jul 14

New Manor rename says...

Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them.
Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them. New Manor rename
  • Score: 3

4:13pm Fri 4 Jul 14

New Manor rename says...

New Manor rename wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them.
......just tapped out a few figures and, in fact, if he equals his best ever win rate (26%) and draws the average number of games from last season (15) it would leave us with 52 points which would have put us 21st last year...Northampton Town's position, uncanny. Oh well, I'm sure he's going to turn into Sir Alex all of a sudden and have the league sewn up by Christmas.
[quote][p][bold]New Manor rename[/bold] wrote: Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them.[/p][/quote]......just tapped out a few figures and, in fact, if he equals his best ever win rate (26%) and draws the average number of games from last season (15) it would leave us with 52 points which would have put us 21st last year...Northampton Town's position, uncanny. Oh well, I'm sure he's going to turn into Sir Alex all of a sudden and have the league sewn up by Christmas. New Manor rename
  • Score: -1

4:32pm Fri 4 Jul 14

oldun says...

New Manor rename wrote:
New Manor rename wrote:
Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them.
......just tapped out a few figures and, in fact, if he equals his best ever win rate (26%) and draws the average number of games from last season (15) it would leave us with 52 points which would have put us 21st last year...Northampton Town's position, uncanny. Oh well, I'm sure he's going to turn into Sir Alex all of a sudden and have the league sewn up by Christmas.
Ferguson's very successful teams occasionally won the league with more than two games to go - nonetheless a more pleasant low grade version of the incredibly successful mr grumpy would be much better than a CW , GW or who we will get
[quote][p][bold]New Manor rename[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]New Manor rename[/bold] wrote: Hmmmmmm. Not sure bringing in a bloke with 3 previous clubs managed and a best win rate of 26% is going to help to move us forward. I suppose, in his defence, he wasn't around for long at most of them.[/p][/quote]......just tapped out a few figures and, in fact, if he equals his best ever win rate (26%) and draws the average number of games from last season (15) it would leave us with 52 points which would have put us 21st last year...Northampton Town's position, uncanny. Oh well, I'm sure he's going to turn into Sir Alex all of a sudden and have the league sewn up by Christmas.[/p][/quote]Ferguson's very successful teams occasionally won the league with more than two games to go - nonetheless a more pleasant low grade version of the incredibly successful mr grumpy would be much better than a CW , GW or who we will get oldun
  • Score: 3

8:20pm Fri 4 Jul 14

OUFC67 says...

Hopefully we will get some decent players in prior to the season starting. We can only judge the changes over a full season as it takes time to get players in and working together. I am sure Lenegan will sell up next summer providing things have gone well over the next year. It is clear he will gradually come out. Funny managerial change again. I Would expect many player changes and staff over the next 12 months. The key thing is that we see attractive winning football at home. The league this coming campaign is going to be tougher.
Hopefully we will get some decent players in prior to the season starting. We can only judge the changes over a full season as it takes time to get players in and working together. I am sure Lenegan will sell up next summer providing things have gone well over the next year. It is clear he will gradually come out. Funny managerial change again. I Would expect many player changes and staff over the next 12 months. The key thing is that we see attractive winning football at home. The league this coming campaign is going to be tougher. OUFC67
  • Score: 1

8:22pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Joe1 says...

Hopefully, we can now get some GOOD players in & let's this NEW Manager do something useful with the increased investment. How good would it be if we could take control of the stadium & put in the 4th stand.

"COME ON YOU YELLOWS"
Hopefully, we can now get some GOOD players in & let's this NEW Manager do something useful with the increased investment. How good would it be if we could take control of the stadium & put in the 4th stand. "COME ON YOU YELLOWS" Joe1
  • Score: 3

8:40pm Fri 4 Jul 14

LeagueOneOx says...

Just watched Eales and Ashton on Yellow Player
and I was encouraged.

Need to see some new players brought in though
and Appleton is highly regarded in coaching circles not left the
upper echelons of the FA. Big Darren Moore will be great assistant to him.

Let Lenagan concentrate on the new stadium project at Water Eaton
Let kassam build his houses and maybe the council/FK will invest some of the profits into a community stadium besides the A34. It loo s a good location - plenty of development will happen there over the next couple of years.
Just watched Eales and Ashton on Yellow Player and I was encouraged. Need to see some new players brought in though and Appleton is highly regarded in coaching circles not left the upper echelons of the FA. Big Darren Moore will be great assistant to him. Let Lenagan concentrate on the new stadium project at Water Eaton Let kassam build his houses and maybe the council/FK will invest some of the profits into a community stadium besides the A34. It loo s a good location - plenty of development will happen there over the next couple of years. LeagueOneOx
  • Score: 2

9:49pm Fri 4 Jul 14

oxfordus says...

At last!!! This is major news for our club and, on the face of it, potentially a winning future for the club. More investment, a major focus on OUFC's stadium and new blood and expertise. I can feel that breath of fresh air sweeping over my face as I am typing.

Now, if we can start signing some decent players to back-up this potential hopefully the fans will start flocking back to the games.

Whatever your opinion re GW, he has been treated terribly by OUFC. Its a ruthless business that's for sure.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!
At last!!! This is major news for our club and, on the face of it, potentially a winning future for the club. More investment, a major focus on OUFC's stadium and new blood and expertise. I can feel that breath of fresh air sweeping over my face as I am typing. Now, if we can start signing some decent players to back-up this potential hopefully the fans will start flocking back to the games. Whatever your opinion re GW, he has been treated terribly by OUFC. Its a ruthless business that's for sure. COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!! oxfordus
  • Score: 4

3:06pm Sat 5 Jul 14

Richard Wickson says...

OUFC67 wrote:
Hopefully we will get some decent players in prior to the season starting. We can only judge the changes over a full season as it takes time to get players in and working together. I am sure Lenegan will sell up next summer providing things have gone well over the next year. It is clear he will gradually come out. Funny managerial change again. I Would expect many player changes and staff over the next 12 months. The key thing is that we see attractive winning football at home. The league this coming campaign is going to be tougher.
You must be joking. Ashton has already made it plain he thinks we have the basis of a good squad so that says changes and additions will be minimal. As regards Lenagan departing next season, I don't think so as he says part of the reason for him standing aside is because he's now on the FA and Football League Boards, if he sells up totally then he can't be on those boards and his ego needs that massage. Let's all hope the club does benefit in some way from the new blood though. We deserve it,!
[quote][p][bold]OUFC67[/bold] wrote: Hopefully we will get some decent players in prior to the season starting. We can only judge the changes over a full season as it takes time to get players in and working together. I am sure Lenegan will sell up next summer providing things have gone well over the next year. It is clear he will gradually come out. Funny managerial change again. I Would expect many player changes and staff over the next 12 months. The key thing is that we see attractive winning football at home. The league this coming campaign is going to be tougher.[/p][/quote]You must be joking. Ashton has already made it plain he thinks we have the basis of a good squad so that says changes and additions will be minimal. As regards Lenagan departing next season, I don't think so as he says part of the reason for him standing aside is because he's now on the FA and Football League Boards, if he sells up totally then he can't be on those boards and his ego needs that massage. Let's all hope the club does benefit in some way from the new blood though. We deserve it,! Richard Wickson
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree